• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quacky

First Lieutenant
5 Badges
Sep 6, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Part 1, Out of obscurity

Introducing the ruler of the Principality of Serbia, Prince Milan Obrenovic II at just 16 he is an aspiring striker in the Partizan Belgrade youth team. With him as ever is the Partizan goalkeeper and Milan’s adviser, Aleksandar Karadjordjevic, who at 30 years old has had much experience of the international game. Milan was outraged but Serbia’s recent defeat to lowly Montenegro and a plan must be prepared.

Milan, “How is it even possible we lose to Montenegro! Such a tiny nation, at least usually we get hammered 5-0 by the Austrians and have the old population size excuse.”

Alex, “It was never a penalty, the referee was Ottoman and you know how they always try to punish us for being under the influence of Russia”

Milan, “Why are we even playing against Montenegro? They speak practically the same language as us, if only we can unite all the Serbs in the region our team could win anyway”

Alex, “How about the Bosnians, Croats and Slovenes, with them we would be even stronger”

Milan, “Excellent thinking, and while we’re at it, aren’t most the players in the Austrian team not really Austrians?”

Alex, “Go on my Prince”

Milan, “How about we make them all have their own countries, that way they are smaller, we are bigger, we can win with ease!”

Alex, “A most excellent suggestion”

Milan then drew out a map of the areas that should be part of the new Yugoslavia and handed it to Alex to make it happen.

12casusbelli.jpg

A speech was prepared and the people of Serbia responded, they clearly want war!

11people.jpg

So Alex wasted no time in meeting the Russian ambassador to discuss an alliance that was gladly accepted.

13russianalliance.jpg

War was declared that very day, those Ottoman referees would pay dearly for there cheating ways. The Russians were as planned called in to do most the real fighting though.

14callforhelp.jpg

Serbian troops hold back defensively while the Russians are seen coming from the hills (Caucasus) or plains here of Ukraine, hopefully they will get the Turks attention before I get smitten.

15russians.jpg

Staying loyal to the plan we defended what we had an won against a small force that marched against us.

16action.jpg

With the Russians in full attack mode victory would be ours soon.

17excellent.jpg

The new bigger better Serbia, with three times the population of the old country we should now be able to find some quality left backs amongst the population.

18newserbia.jpg

The Prince was pleased with his new territory but soon hit upon another plan as ambitious monarchs do.

Milan, “Navy, I want a navy!”

Alex, “Why ever for, you don’t play football at sea, that is water polo”

Milan, “I have seen other nations set up training camps in Africa, it all sounds very prestigious and we should have a part of it”

Alex, “Wouldn’t that require more of our men to become soldiers instead of playing the beautiful game”

Milan, “I can’t believe how stupid you are today! The Serbians play football, the colonial subjects join the army and die for our cause under the leadership of those that miss penalties”

To war again for Ottoman Montenegro, again the Russians would be called in to help. Which was dearly needed as our army was defeated at Nis and ran away to Montenegro to recover. Thankfully the Russians turned up to take them on, seeing this our brave warriors joined them in battle and the Turks were defeated.

19beaten.jpg

Revenge was complete when another large Ottoman army was defeated in a valiant defence of Pristina

20pristina.jpg

The Resistance was broken and Serbia now had a coastline to launch an invasion of a nation with great training facilities.

21coastline.jpg

Six transport ships was hastily constructed and set to the coast of Egypt, war declared and the men ran for land. Just as well they did because the Egyptian navy arrived and sunk the lot of them. Meanwhile the land invasion continued after the Egyptian army was wiped out.

22divide.jpg

This expedition was leaking money by the day and four Egyptian frigates had blockaded our only port, with no naval power to speak off we had to wait until a naval base and some warships could be built.

23theblockade.jpg

To help with this dilemma we moved to capture all the coastal provinces of Egypt. They still had Crete that would need invading but it was hoped that the main fleet would be relocated to the Red Sea, well away from Serbia. It was indeed spotted in Sharm el-Sheik shortly after this picture was taken. Meanwhile two Serbian frigates launched attacks against the Egyptian navy repairing and regrouping each time until finally the blockade was lifted

24coastalcapture.jpg

To our surprise we also received an invite to some kind of international tournament hosted by Russia, the other teams looked a little bit out of league for now though so we declined the invitation.

25nothanks.jpg

After seven years of war with Egypt the entire nation was conquered in 1853, over the following years new armies were trained and the debts of the nation were paid off. It would soon be time continue uniting Yugoslavia behind one football team thought Milan.

26europefinal.jpg

Obrenović & Karađorđević in the same team...the end is nigh!;)

keep up the good work:D

Part 2, Unity

After several years of training hard and hiring many useless footballers to join the new Serbian navy Russia came calling. They wanted help against the Austrians and Milan was anxious to test his army against the future foe. Despite being warned against it by Alex, Serbia was plunged into war.

211helprussia.jpg

Initially there was some success at the battle of Pancevo, although Alex was quick to point out the high losses among our troops.

212highlosses.jpg

Realising his mistake as twenty five thousand Bavarians turned up while his army had be shot to pieces in the north Milan sent for a white peace and Serbia's brief involvement in this conflict was over.

213severedamage.jpg

We were not ready yet to take on the Austrian army even with the Russians, thankfully our quick peace negotiators spared further destruction.

Alex, "I bring urgent news from the colonies!"

Milan, "Are those revolting revolters revolting revoltingly again?"

Alex, "No, a most strange thing, a group of Danish wandering troops entered our training camp in Alexandria demanding a game of five a side. They then proceeded to abuse the rules of game most shockingly and claim a prestigious victory."

Milan, "Enough! To war!!!! We cannot let this pass"

Alex, "They appear to own an island in the Caribbean, it truly is a place in the sun."

Milan, "Make it Serbian!"

214colonial.jpg

The irate Milan dispatched an army to occupy the soon to be Serbian West Indies immediately and ordered a complete blockade of Denmark.

215blockade.jpg

Following an invasion of Denmark itself they surrendered on our terms and Milan now had a holiday destination.

Milan, "I have noticed that for some time now Bosnia has been ruled by rebels, if the Ottomans don't want it we should move in and add them to our nation as planned."

Alex, "A most excellent plan, these Ottomans are not so scary any more, I shall not bother to consult the Russian ambassador about this matter."

216bosnia.jpg

Shortly after the Ottomans arrived and were defeated as predicted.

217battle.jpg

While our troops spread out to occupy more land we received notice that Serbia was now considered to be a great footballing nation by the world elite. Milan was so delighted he immediately built the very prestigious Suez Canal in order to ship more cheap footballs from Asia to Serbia. The sudden influx of footballs to the market scared the Ottomans and they surrendered on sight of the first shipment.

218greatpower.jpg

Alex, "Might I bring to your attention the events of the Austro-Prussian war raging to the north?"

Milan, "Why should I care about their squabbles?!"

Alex, "Exactly five years ago we signed a peace treaty with the Austrian's after their army proved to be stronger than ours."

Milan, "Don't remind me of such a painful time!"

Alex, "Look upon our latest intelligence report of the Austrian army and give me your immediate reaction."

219austroprussian.jpg

Milan, "TO WAR!!!!!!!"

It's somewhat easier to beat the Austrian army when it doesn't exist so we marched headlong into their territory at first just demanding Dalmatia. Their allies did have some military left as seen here, Württenburg really is not very scary though.

220wurttemburg.jpg

It appears Serbia is not the only opportunist warmonger around these parts, Russia joins in to make things even easier.

221russians.jpg

Of course the Austrians were building troops but they did not have time to become organised. Even though they still were clearly technologically more advanced than our forces the lack of organisation and numbers made things simple.

222battles.jpg

In order to maintain our advantage we made use of encirclement tactics as seen here playing with twenty seven thousand Austrians in Krems.

223encirclement.jpg

Soon the situation was looking bleak indeed for the once mighty Austrian empire now finding itself under attack from two fronts and with no defence.

224beforepeace.jpg

Alex, "Emperor Franz Joseph I has signed the treaty, agreeing to all our conditions! Prince Nikola I wishes to congratulate you personally"

Milan, "Spectacular news Alex!"

Nikola, "As ruler of Montenegro I am most grateful for your successes in freeing our fellow slavs from the oppressive regimes of our neighbouring empires. I offer you my land and any quality footballers that may emanate therein, may they play for your team."

Milan, "From this day forth, this land shall be known as Yugoslavia!"

Then they went for a kick about down the park to celebrate.

225united.jpg

As a KK Crvena Zvezda (Partizan's longtime rival) fan, I am throughly disappointed.

Sorry, but I had to pick one of the two.

Last edited:
Good job! I like your football angle!

Part 3, Freedom

Alex, "Interesting news from the west regarding our old foe Milan"

Milan, "The French have gotten confused and invaded Bolivia instead of Britain?"

Alex, “No, the Venetians have revolted against the decision not to allow SSC Venezia into the Austrian 1st division.”

Milan, “We must offer them a hand of friendship immediately and place them within our sphere footballing influence.”

Alex, “On a more strategic note, you will realise the Austrians no longer have access to high seas.”

11venice.jpg

Milan looked blankly, caring little for such military matters he had long since realised that Alex was better in these issues. Alex decided to continue without explaining the significance.

Alex, “As you know we have a large number of Albanian soldiers in our armed forces which we should endeavour to keep from becoming disgruntled.”

Milan, “What do they want now!!”

Alex, “Actually the problem is not of our doing; it appears that matches involving Albanian teams are not being broadcast by Ottoman authorities. Rumour has it they are trying to cover up victories over their own sides while forcing these players to turn out for the Ottoman Empire.”

Milan, “Give them freedom! Our men will be up for this for sure.”

The difficulty here, the Ottomans are allied with Portugal and Britain. Not to worry, the order was given. Our troops demolished the Ottomans easily, there is a bit of a theme here, I don’t have many pictures of the wars against the Ottoman Empire because they just fold so fast. Anyway Portugal invaded Crete and Britain in Eritrea. Both were defeated but with some difficulty in the case of the British.

12britishattack.jpg

Then I quickly grabbed peace as soon as I could as I feared a stronger British attack.

13albania.jpg

Then some rather peculiar news, the Albanians were clearly delighted with us.

15annexalbania.jpg

Alex, “I bring you grave news, the Austrian scum are invading!!!!”

Milan, “Argggghghghghgghhhh, I’m not a general, tell a ****ing general and don’t let them mortar the stadium!”

14austriansattack.jpg

You can see it pretty quickly turned into two massive battles in Maribor and Novi Sad around the Austrians war goal to take back one of my regions. I realised how lucky I was with the first war, against a full Austrian army is a lot trickier. We managed to encircle Maribor and then the stragglers from Novi Sad here to remove most the Austrian army from the map.

151encircle.jpg

At this point Milan wondered if it might be possible (he is not so confident in war matters) to teach them a lesson.

16hungary.jpg

The plan formulated by Alex; turning defence into attack, Hungary would be liberated. This would weaken the Austrians and importantly for future wars limit our border with them making it much easier to form the large manpower sucking battles on our forts in Slovenia. He didn’t explain this to Milan but rather suggested that the weakening of the Austrian team with the loss of the mighty Magyars would be something well worthwhile.

17hungary.jpg

Unfortunately this plan had a major flaw, Alex couldn’t count and Milan was declared to be a very bad boy by the Russian referee.

18contain.jpg

None of the fighting took place in Yugoslavia itself, it was in fact started by a joint Greek and Venetian invasion of Italy. One army was sent to join in and another to the Greek islands, I forgot I had a land border with Russia (oops) and so the defences I had remembered to build there were not very useful against the men of Krakow and Russia.

19containwar.jpg

All these nations had embarrassingly awful troops though and so a white peace was declared. Milan decided he was allowed to go in knee high, studs showing, leg breaking challenges all the time now as no one could send him off. Indeed he was provoked during a match against the Ottoman Empire when he saw a particularly skilful Wallachian forced to play for his Turkish masters. Milan alone broke the legs of three opposition defenders and in the locker room after the match, declared war. Alex was pretty angry as he explained that while the intention was to free the Romanian puppets this would require the massacre of the Wallachian army. A little perturbed he decided to give a few provinces of the Ottoman Empire to the Wallachians, hoping they would forgive him.

This time meant war with Spain (who became the leader of the opposition), Britain and Portugal. Neither did much, towards the end of the war Spain invaded Egypt while the other two both went for Crete. Thankfully most of the Ottoman army was destroyed quickly because...

20wallachia.jpg

The damned Austrians attacked! We quickly rushed our spare troops back to Slovenia/Hungary and obtained peace with Spain as soon as possible. I don’t have pictures of either of this war but the Hungarian army was large and helped me to rotate and capture a few provinces which allowed a white peace to be reached quite fast.

Rebels took over the Moldavian capital and then Romania was formed, we must strive to influence their football. They may hate us now but we want to nurture our new little countries after all lots of small nations tend to lack quality players in all positions on the pitch, a problem the mighty Yugoslavia does not have.

21romania.jpg

Part 4, Austrians

Milan was still furious at the Russian referee who tried to send him off last match and looking for some excuse to get his own back. He settled down to watch Romania vs Russia at the weekly sphere meeting. A sort of a drinking club for leaders of the Yugoslav football association and those of other associations in the sphere. The head of the Romanian delegation was livid to see a Chisinau born Romanian playing at left back for the Russians and demanded action. In order to protect the newly formed state of Romania, Alex decided it would best to first liberate Moldavia and then this could later be incorporated with Romania but the Russians would never know who was behind it.

So to war! A very easy war, the Russian army isn't what it used to be.

11moldavia.jpg

It was so easy the generals had just asked for permission to liberate Ukraine after they had seen the conditions Ukrainians were forced to live in while capturing Kiev. The order was never given, the Austrians were attacking again!!!

Operation Žep was put into action (Slovene for pocket) as our troops rushed back to man the forts of Slovenia.

12encirclementofslovenia.jpg

Even the militarily hopeless Milan saw that this was a beautiful plan with over a quarter of a million Austrians about to be encircled. He even visited units in Zagreb so pleased he was with the organisation of the army.

General Kosta Protic, "Austrians surrounded, spare armies waiting, victory in 3 weeks prince."

Milan, "I must say this is marvellous, I have always wanted to see a victorious campaign for myself."

Kosta, "1-0 to Yugoslavia, Battle of Ljubljana is all but won."

Milan, "Hurraaah!"

Kosta was then interrupted by a junior officer.

Kosta, "*!&S!!!!!"

13germans.jpg

Milan was rushed back to Belgrade as panic struck and battles broke out everywhere.

14outnumbered.jpg

More troops were shipped in from Egypt and Sudan in a desperate attempt to even the numbers and deal with the rebel problem. Before opportunistic warmongers struck again!

15magyars.jpg

Thankfully on our side, taking advantage of the complete lack of any Austrian presence the Hungarians wished to annex Slovakia. Unfortunately this was a separate war so they mainly focused on capturing land than fighting. They did sort out my rebels for me though and engaged some of the German troops. Without much resistance they easily met their wargoal and following the decisive battle of Maribor so did Yugoslavia. Remember this was an encirclement too.

16venice.jpg

Peace lasted all of two weeks before half a million Frenchmen were spotted marching towards Verona, thankfully we had manned the fort first.

17frenchcontain.jpg

They brought with them two Italian states which were crushed with ease and left the war early, Switzerland and Brazil who were never seen and Belgium who invaded Greece unsuccessfully. The French also landed in North Africa, Greece, Crete and overland from Arabia all repelled quite easily and so they gave in with a white peace.

Having been allied with the Greeks for so long now it was time to give something back as a thank you, it was decided all their claims to land would be honoured. As you may remember wars with the Ottomans involve Spain and Britain at the moment. The British were encircled in Egypt and gave up leaving war leader Spain to try to same trick and annihilated also. After capturing 80% of the entire Ottoman lands we had enough warscore to free all Greek land.

18greece.jpg

We've been at war with most people, the truce with Russia has just run out though so maybe its time to expand the recently independent (from Austrian revolters) Ukraine.

19russianext.jpg

Austria really is a mess now, something that makes Milan very pleased.

This is glorious! I'm definitely going to play a Serbia -> Yugoslavia game at some point!

In a way reverting to more modern borders is one of my aims rather than just annexing eastern europe. I just looked up some maps from around there and I suppose it is a bit like that.

Good luck trying to unify Yugoslavia yourself, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to time your attack on the Austrians perfectly. I got a bit lucky they were beaten so completely by the Prussians.

Shouldn't Croatia-Slavonia be a part of Hungary?

Albania in a union with Yugoslavia?
hell just froze over...:wacko:

but then again, they might just want to be part of the winning football team:D

Status
Not open for further replies.